Considering a steel or aluminum pop-up tent? Look no further! This is our world and we know a ton about this. Real talk: our focus is manufacturing heavy-duty aluminum pop-up canopy tents, so naturally this is a commonly asked question from our prospects and customers. Now let’s break down the key differences and make the best decision based on your brand and budget.
The easiest way to illustrate the comparison is by focusing on the following areas:
Pros & Cons for Steel Pop Up Tent Models
- Economical. Steel is a cheaper material. The raw material costs less to acquire, so it’s cheaper to build tents from steel and they cost less to purchase.
- Very accessible. Go into any big box or sporting goods store and you’ll find a row dedicated to steel pop-up tents.
- Steel weighs 3 times as much as aluminum, and so less material is used in the frame design, meaning the strength and durability is far below that of an aluminum model.
- Steel tent frames are powder-coated which means they’re prone to chipping, scratching and rusting.
- Since steel pop up tent frames don’t last as long, there’s a higher lifetime cost when you consider the time and money required to replace the frame or canopy every 1-2 years.
Pros & Cons for Aluminum Pop Up Tent Models
- Aluminum pop up tent models are comprised of anodized aluminum, which is the second hardest substance next to diamond (satellites, aircraft and military vehicles all use anodized aluminum).
- This is a big reason why aluminum pop up tents last a lot longer.
- Aluminum pop up tent frames carry longer warranties (5, 7 and even lifetime frame warranties).
- Aluminum is ⅓ the weight of steel which means more material can be used in the construction of the frame leading to greater strength and durability.
- You have numerous size options beyond just 10×10.
- Because aluminum frames last longer, the soft goods (canopy, walls, etc) can be rebranded over time.
- Aluminum costs are greater than steel, which means they cost more to produce and therefore can be anywhere from 3-6 times as expensive as steel models.